Students have the opportunity to take Drivers Education as an elective at Jordan High School.
Each course is one quarter.
(Elective Credit Only, $95 during school year, $140 during summer)
02111/02162 10,11,12 16th Birthday before December 8
02112/02161 10,11,12 16th Birthday before March 14
02113/02164 10,11,12 16th Birthday before June 1
02114/02163 10,11,12 16th Birthday before September 30
Summer Driver’s Ed 10,11,12 16th Birthday before November 30
Attendance: Utah state law requires that students receive a minimum of 27 hours, classroom time for drivers education. Any type of absence or tardy counts against a student’s 27 hours of instruction whether it is excused or not. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PASS THIS CLASS IF THE STATE MANDATED 27-HOUR MINIMUM OF CLASS TIME IS NOT MET.
Course Objectives: It is our position that Driver Education is merely a “beginning” for students. While we cannot provide them with every driving experience and all-encompassing driving wisdom, we do believe that focusing on basic fundamentals of attitude and skill can help a driver education student begin to develop safe and sound driving habits that become lifetime skills. The course objectives below are based upon a practical philosophy of defensive driving. We strive to help students to:
- Understand the importance of a mature, responsible driving attitude.
- Become 100% safety belt users.
- Understand the dangers and costs of impaired driving.
- Begin learning basic driving skills.
- Learn and obey the rules of the road.
- Prepare to pass the state written driver license exam and the state road test.
Drivers must complete the state minimum classroom instruction
- You can only miss 3 sessions during the quarter and still complete pass the course.
This is a state requirement.
- Academic average of 70% or higher or at least a D in this course.
- F grade and repeat the course + fee
- 6 Hours of range driving required.
- Session times will be listed in class.
- Permit not required for range times
- Each session is 2 hours long.
- Learners Permit required for Road Driving (here or DMV)
- Anytime after 15th birthday- insurance?
- You must complete 3 hours of road driving in a Driver's Education car.
- Before school, after school, Saturdays and some non school days.
- Sessions last from 1.5 to 3 hours.
- State road test one time during your last road driving session. 80% required to pass-retest at DMV
- 6 hours of observation required in the DE cars
- Eligibility date - Birthday or 6 months with permit
- 40 hours driving time. 10 hours must be at night and 6 hours can be counted for driving here
(road and range). 34 with parents
Students will be given their completion certificate from the driver education instructor. Do not go to the DMV for your license until you receive this or make arrangements with the instructor.